When the basil is out of season or you'd prefer to avoid the plastic packaged herbs at the supermarket, why not use what Mother Nature is providing for you right in your backyard?
To make the base of this pesto, you'll need a handful of healthy foraged weeds. Avoid weeds that have been sprayed or look unhealthy. The more vibrant, the more energy you'll receive from them.
Use this guide to identify some edible weeds you could you use in your creation.
What you'll need*:
- A handful of foraged, edible weeds. We love using Mallow, dandelion, chickweed & wild mustard leaves.
- A handful of nuts or seeds of choice (we chose a mix of cashews and pumpkin seeds)
- A couple of tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- A clove of garlic
- A couple of tablespoons of organic olive or hemp oil.
- A squeeze of lemon or other acid like ACV
*Cooking should be creative, and up to your intuition which is why we haven't given you hard measurements. Listen to your body & ask it what and how much feels best in the moment.
Add all the ingredients into the blender & blend until smooth but still slightly textured.
Add on top of pasta or any other meal of choice. Then garnish with edible flowers for extra beauty.
We love making pesto because it's absolutely delicious, its super quick and very versatile. Plus, if you can use ingredients which are essentially free then it's very low cost too!